Welcome to Burntside Lodge
Welcome to Burntside Lodge, the oldest remaining guest lodge in Ely, Minnesota. We are pleased to have you join our staff! To help you get comfortable we have assembled some information to help you to get to know the ins and outs of Burntside Lodge and the Ely area.
Burntside Lodge was built prior to 1913 and has been owned by the LaMontagne family since 1941, when Ray and Nancy LaMontagne purchased the lodge from Willie and Bess Alden. For the past 30+ years the resort has been operated by Ray and Nancy’s son, Lou, along with his wife Lonnie. Today they continue to operate the resort with their two adult children, Nicole and Jacques.
The lodge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has 21 cabins, ranging in size from 1 to 3 bedrooms. The main lodge is the hub of operations and houses our restaurant, lounge, cappuccino bar, guest check-in, and gift shop.
We look forward to welcoming you to Burntside!
Our goal at Burntside is to preserve the historic character of the lodge, while providing modern comforts and a warm and relaxed atmosphere for our guests. We are always exploring the line between rustic and luxury so that ultimately our guests can enjoy a classic northwoods experience with understated modern comfort.
Our daily goal is to make each Guest feel they are our number one priority. The way we do this is by knowing each guest by name, knowing preferences they might have all while providing a warm and relaxed atmosphere that they can call home for their stay, whether it be for a night, a week, or an evening.
What does excellent customer service mean to us?
- Being professional, gracious, and friendly
- Being present and aware of the needs of our guests
- Making each one of our guests feel important
- Exceeding guest expectations by always putting the guest first and and improving our skillset and approach
The City of Ely
Located just six miles away is the community of Ely.
Incorporated in the late 1800’s, much of its early development came from iron ore mining and lumber industries.
Today the city boasts a population of just under 4,000 people and a wide variety of distinctive shops and services including antique shops, bookstores, grocery stores and unique gift and clothing stores.
Tune in to our community radio station WELY 94.5 FM for the latest news, weather, sports, and music.
Services in Ely
The following businesses are located in the town of Ely to help if you need a bank or a grocery store:
- Wells Fargo Bank- only national bank in Ely, otherwise we suggest downloading your bank's app onto your phone or use bank-by-mail for depositing paychecks
- ShopKo retail and pharmacy
- Zups grocery store
- Northland Market grocery store
- Ely Bloomenson Community Hospital
- Ely Vision-Optometry Center
- Ely Public Library
- Many local outdoor stores for outdoor gear, clothing and footwear
- US Post Office
The weather at Burntside Lodge is typically very pleasant throughout the summer months, with average temperatures peaking in July at about 79°. In recent years we have experienced temperatures near 90º plus humidity in July. Be aware that the weather is unpredictable, and periods of rain and cooler temperatures occur as well.
Historical Highs & Lows (°F)
May June July August September
High 65 73 79 76 66
Low 36 46 52 48 40
Ely does not have a commercial airport, so the best way to get here is to fly into Minneapolis or Duluth. Minneapolis is about 250 miles(4 hours) from Burntside Lodge and Duluth is about 100 miles away(2 hours). If you fly into Minneapolis, there is a shuttle service that will take you into Duluth, where we can pick you up.
- There is no public transportation in Ely. Ely Safe Ride does provide regional taxi service for a fee.
- Shuttle service from Minneapolis to Duluth is available via Skyline Shuttle.
What to Bring
The climate in Minnesota if variable and can be chilly in the early and later parts of the season and can then be fairly hot in July and August. When packing, we recommend that you bring along the following items:
- Shorts & t-shirts
- Blouse/Button-down shirt
- Rain coat
- Comfortable walking shoes/hiking shoes
- Work clothes suitable for your position