When you stay at Burntside Lodge, you have at your disposal a wide variety of activities. From listening to the common loon on the lake, to hiking in the forest, to paddling the lake in a canoe or kayak, there is little left to be desired on your vacation. You have the leisure to do as much or as little as you wish.
- Swim in the crystal-clear waters of Burntside Lake or heat up in our Finnish sauna
- Hike to the waterfall at Bass Lake or combine a little hiking and portaging and view the Hegman Lake pictographs
- Rent a pontoon, fishing boat, canoe or kayak and explore the pristine, spring-fed waters of Burntside Lake.
- Have fun fishing for smallmouth bass or try and tempt one of the lake's legendary lake trout to take your bait. Guides can also be arranged at local outfitters for explorations of other area lakes.
- Golf at Ely’s challenging nine hole course, 6 miles away.
- Or take a drive to golf at the Wilderness at Fortune Bay, an 18 hole course 30 minutes from The Lodge.
- Or, visit the Giant’s Ridge Golf Course in Biwabik, a 50 min. drive from The Lodge.
- Rent mountain bikes in Ely and explore the trails in the area. The Ely Bike Shop can provide rentals, helmets, and advice.
- Grab your binoculars and go birding.
- Visit Sigurd Olson’s Listening Point on Burntside Lake
- Participate in one of our naturalist activities to learn more about the area.